Web lists-archives.com

Re: New browser from the devs of Palemoon

My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco graced us with on 11/21/2017 1:39 PM:

<snip>

A very sad "lack of feature" to me: Basilisk has *no* language supported but English!

Any one around here know I if can do a kind of "forced install" of a Firefox translation into Basilisk? Finding the right version (or some with enough compatibility) should not be too hard...

It is an arduous but conceivable task if Basilisk's underlying architecture is somewhat similar to pre-Fx57's.

Note: I have no time nor desire to assist on this and fully acknowledge that time spent on it may be wasted in the end. Also, my comments are using a Windows system and its jargon, e.g., "\" instead of "/", "folder" instead of "directory" AND locale=en-US, you would want to use your local instead.

1. Navigate to your Fx installation folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ 2. Navigate to its browser folder, C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\browser\ and note a file by the name omni.ja. This is simply a renamed zip archive.
3. Copy and rename it, to say, omni.zip
4. Extract all the files to disired folder, say, c:\...\omniunzip\
5. From there, navigate to c:\...\omniunzip\chrome\en-US\locale\browser.

In this folder you'll notice a bunch of files with the *.dtd extension. These are simply text files that can be edited with your favorite text editor. Opening one, say, browser.dtd you will find entries like

<!ENTITY  reloadTab.label                    "Reload Tab">

the 1st field past the <!ENTITY tag defines the browser element and the "some text" defines the its label.

Now, if (and that's a BIG if), Basilisk has a similar set of files, conceivably, you could replace their text parts with that of your local, for example.

<!ENTITY  reloadTab.label                    "Your translation">

This would need to be done with all of the *.dtd files in the browser folder, at a minimum. Then, once complete, rename the existing Basilisk omni.ja file to, say, omniORIG.ja and then re-zip the edited omniunzip folder contents and name it omni.ja and copy it to the Basilisk's omni.ja folder.

Then comes the smoke test when you restart Basilisk. If things go awry. You should be able to kill the Basilisk process and rename the edited omni.ja to, say, omni_boo-boo.ja and rename omniORIG.ja back to omni.ja

I did say it would be arduous, no?

--
Sailfish