Web lists-archives.com

Re: I feel unclean

On 11/21/2017 03:08 PM, Rav wrote:
On 11/21/2017 4:40 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 11/21/2017 2:20 PM, Sailfish wrote:
11/21/2017 11:32 AM:
I swore I wasn't going to update from 52ESR/linux, but I was curious
about whether it would speed up the slow-as-pushing-rocks-uphill
facebook scrolling as well as making it possible to view facebook
videos.

I'm ashamed to say that yeah, it does speed up FB, but it doesn't
help with the videos.  So now I have 52 open for general browsing and
57 (which I will hold my nose and allow to update) for FB and Chrome
for whatever the FFs won't do.

Fortunately HD space is cheap.  My 8TB drive is split into 1TB
partitions (lots of backups), and my actual installation is only 250GB.

My new android phone has 64GB internal memory and a 64GB external
card.  Plenty of room there too.

I'm getting sloppy.

You, like many of us, are still living in Bill "640K Ought to be
Enough for Anyone" Gates 1989 universe.

Not me.  Still back with the 48K with 192K floppies.  Grin.  And I
thought THAT was lots of RAM and disk space.  First computers I operated
for the USAF had 4.8K of RAM, and card storage!   But the OS was only
256bytes!  The good old days.
Modems operated at a blazing 300 baud, which yielded about 30
characters/second.  Now I get 8MB/S!  Progress!

Back when we used acoustic couplers in the early '70s (modems didn't
exist because at that time the Bell System didn't allow anything to be
direct connected to their network), the stated rate was 110 baud (about
10 cps).

I have two of those. Virgin, made by Xerox, still in their boxes. Lost, of course.

But since we were using IBM 2741 terminals (which were
basically souped up IBM Selectric typewriters), much of the time there
was an effective rate of about 3-4 characters per second, because it
took one "character" transmission to turn the typeball 180 degrees to
prepare to print an upper-case (or special) character, one to actually
print that character, and another "character" to turn the typeball back
to the lower-case characters.  Plus, a lot of "idle" characters had to
be inserted when a line was done printing, so that the typeball didn't
start printing the next line while it was returning to the left margin,
slowing things down even further!  When 30 cps dot-matrix terminals
arrived, we thought we were in heaven.

Not to mention PRINTERS WITH DESCENDERS!!!!

We need to read about stuff like this to remind us that not everything was better back in the Good Old Days. OTOH, how much cool stuff makes up for the fact that The Sunday Drive is no longer pleasant?

--
Cheers, Bev
   Politicians are stupid like cats are stupid.