Web lists-archives.com

Re: New browser from the devs of Palemoon

On 11/21/2017 8:01 AM, EE wrote:
Caver1 wrote:
This is a new browser from the makers of Palemoon. Looks good but too early for me to expand more. Basilisk.
https://www.basilisk-browser.org/
Basilisk features
Main features:

    Full support for JavaScript's ECMAscript 6 standard for modern web browsing.     Support for all NPAPI plugins (Unity, Silverlight, Flash, Java, authentication plugins, etc.).
     Support for XUL/Overlay Mozilla-style extensions.
    Experimental support for WebExtensions (in gecko-target mode). Please note that some Mozilla-specific WebExtension APIs are not yet available.
     Support for ALSA on Linux.
     Support for WebAssembly (WASM).
     Support for advanced Graphite font shaping features.
    Support for modern web cryptography: up to TLS 1.3, modern ciphers, HSTS, etc.

Important differences with Mozilla Firefox:

    Uses Goanna as a layout and rendering engine. Goanna behaves slightly differently than Gecko in certain respects and may result in different display of web pages. e.g.: Goanna renders gradients in a more accurate color space (non-premultiplied).     Builds on UXP, our XUL platform in development. As such XUL is alive and well in this browser and will not be deprecated.     Has some long-standing known issues with the Mozilla code-base fixed (e.g. CVE-2009-1232).     Does not use Rust or the Photon user interface. You can expect a familiar interface as-carried by Firefox between v29 and v56.
     Does not use Electrolysis (e10s, multi-process browsing).
     Does not require walled-garden extension signing.

I could not find any screenshots.  What does Basilisk look like?  Is it
like Pale Moon or like Firefox with Australis?

It's based on Fx 55 so it has the Australis look. If you install CTR 1.7.3.1 then you have the classic Fx/Pale Moon look. I don't have enough bookmarks yet (haven't imported any yet either) to see a reported problem with CTR and drop down suggestions in the address bar. Aris has issued a new beta version of CTR that is supposed to fix the problem.