Web lists-archives.com

Re: I feel unclean

On 11/21/2017 4:40 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 11/21/2017 2:20 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on 11/21/2017 11:32 AM:
I swore I wasn't going to update from 52ESR/linux, but I was curious about whether it would speed up the slow-as-pushing-rocks-uphill facebook scrolling as well as making it possible to view facebook videos.

I'm ashamed to say that yeah, it does speed up FB, but it doesn't help with the videos.  So now I have 52 open for general browsing and 57 (which I will hold my nose and allow to update) for FB and Chrome for whatever the FFs won't do.

Fortunately HD space is cheap.  My 8TB drive is split into 1TB partitions (lots of backups), and my actual installation is only 250GB.

My new android phone has 64GB internal memory and a 64GB external card.  Plenty of room there too.

I'm getting sloppy.

You, like many of us, are still living in Bill "640K Ought to be Enough for Anyone" Gates 1989 universe.

Not me.  Still back with the 48K with 192K floppies.  Grin.  And I thought THAT was lots of RAM and disk space.  First computers I operated for the USAF had 4.8K of RAM, and card storage!   But the OS was only 256bytes!  The good old days. Modems operated at a blazing 300 baud, which yielded about 30 characters/second.  Now I get 8MB/S!  Progress!

Back when we used acoustic couplers in the early '70s (modems didn't exist because at that time the Bell System didn't allow anything to be direct connected to their network), the stated rate was 110 baud (about 10 cps). But since we were using IBM 2741 terminals (which were basically souped up IBM Selectric typewriters), much of the time there was an effective rate of about 3-4 characters per second, because it took one "character" transmission to turn the typeball 180 degrees to prepare to print an upper-case (or special) character, one to actually print that character, and another "character" to turn the typeball back to the lower-case characters. Plus, a lot of "idle" characters had to be inserted when a line was done printing, so that the typeball didn't start printing the next line while it was returning to the left margin, slowing things down even further! When 30 cps dot-matrix terminals arrived, we thought we were in heaven.