Web lists-archives.com

Re: I feel unclean

My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on 11/21/2017 1:25 PM:
On 11/21/2017 12:20 PM, Sailfish wrote:
11/21/2017 11:32 AM:
I swore I wasn't going to update from 52ESR/linux, but I was curious
about whether it would speed up the slow-as-pushing-rocks-uphill
facebook scrolling as well as making it possible to view facebook videos.

I'm ashamed to say that yeah, it does speed up FB, but it doesn't help
with the videos.  So now I have 52 open for general browsing and 57
(which I will hold my nose and allow to update) for FB and Chrome for
whatever the FFs won't do.

Fortunately HD space is cheap.  My 8TB drive is split into 1TB
partitions (lots of backups), and my actual installation is only 250GB.

My new android phone has 64GB internal memory and a 64GB external card.
 Plenty of room there too.

I'm getting sloppy.

You, like many of us, are still living in Bill "640K Ought to be Enough
for Anyone" Gates 1989 universe.

When we got our first computer in 1977 Allen had to write his own BIOS. I remember him waking me up in the middle of the night to tell me he'd just saved four bytes.

All my life I've hated waste; it's difficult to switch into the 'profligate' mode.

Somebody mentioned that 57 is faster because it's a resource hog. Sure enough, my 'load' graphic is twice the size when I'm running 57 vs 52. Not that it matters, of course. It's not like I'm compiling in the background or anything...

heh

--
Sailfish