Web lists-archives.com

Re: I feel unclean

My bloviated meandering follows what Balaco graced us with on 11/21/2017 12:51 PM:
Em 21-11-2017 18:20, Sailfish escreveu:
11/21/2017 11:32 AM:
I swore I wasn't going to update from 52ESR/linux, but I was curious
about whether it would speed up the slow-as-pushing-rocks-uphill
facebook scrolling as well as making it possible to view facebook videos.

I'm ashamed to say that yeah, it does speed up FB, but it doesn't help
with the videos.  So now I have 52 open for general browsing and 57
(which I will hold my nose and allow to update) for FB and Chrome for
whatever the FFs won't do.

Fortunately HD space is cheap.  My 8TB drive is split into 1TB
partitions (lots of backups), and my actual installation is only 250GB.

My new android phone has 64GB internal memory and a 64GB external
card.  Plenty of room there too.

I'm getting sloppy.

You, like many of us, are still living in Bill "640K Ought to be Enough
for Anyone" Gates 1989 universe.

Lets not forget that 640KiB of code can do a *lot* of things today. Cheap does not mean that we cannot make good uses for every byte.

True that, but when everyone is using HOLs (Java, C++, ...) along with frameworks (jQuery, bootstrap, React, ...), it's kinda of an abstract concept anymore, meThinks.

--
Sailfish