Web lists-archives.com

Re: 6,000 listed Web Extensions on AMO

Em 15-11-2017 17:38, WaltS48 escreveu:
> On 11/15/17 12:14 PM, Balaco wrote:
>>
>> Em 15-11-2017 07:40, Big Al escreveu:
>>  > On 11/14/2017 06:32 PM, Desiree wrote:
>>  >> On 11/14/2017 5:42 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>>  >>>> Over 70% of add-on users already have at least one installed
>>  >>>
>>  >>> How many lines of code were touched?
>>  >>>
>>  >>> Find out more here.
>>  >>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/firefox/the-new-firefox-by-the-numbers/>
>>  >>>
>>  >> The 30% who don't are the ones I stand with.  All great extensions
>> are
>>  >> the user being excited until they look at the pathetic nothing that
>>  >> 20 years of Netscape, Mozilla Suite and Phoenix et al, Fx 52 ESR is
>>  >> the end.  SeaMonkey and Thunderbird will live on for awhile, but, in
>>  >> reality, Google has won.
>>  >
>>  > Some place I saw a statement that the features in web extensions are
>>  > somewhat watered down as they can do much less than old add-ons
>> did.  If
>>  > this is correct then that's probably a good reason for your opinion.
>>  >
>>  > I did play with 57 for the day yesterday to see how it worked.
>>  >

>> If the web extensions have the pointed bad points, I believe that a
>> fork from Firefox 52 will be born and continue from there, without
>> such silly changes.
>>

> Actually Mozilla claims they are good points because they don't allow
> hacks of extensions that changed the UI from being exploited.
>
> That is why CTR, Complete Themes and other extensions that change the UI
> are no longer allowed.
>
> A pointed good point for security reasons. YMMV

Firefox interface has problems and things that *should be* configurable, but are not. Extensions are things that could help in doing that.

If an extension could be used for doing bad things, they should just *warn* the user when she installs them, or do not allow specific extensions to be installed unless the warned user still wants to try them. Removing the possibility of doing them is a very bad choice, I think.