Web lists-archives.com

Re: Worst Browser Ever, but could be the best.

On 11/11/2017 8:18 PM, responder wrote:
On 11/10/2017 9:38 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 11/10/17 7:57 AM, Daniel wrote:
On 10/11/2017 7:46 AM, The Real Bev wrote:

<Snip>

I would think that Thunderbird or equivalent would be a much easier way
to read email than gmail on the web (which I loathe and despise) but I
could be wrong -- I started out with Netscape .9 and went on from there,
so it's what I'm used to.

Back in 1996, when I first got on-line, my ISP gave me two 5.25 inch floppy disks (Remember them?? Silly question ... of course all us "old fogies" here remember them!!).

One disk had WinSock type programs, the other had Netscape 0.9 on it. I think I've still got that disk somewhere hereabouts!!

We used 5.25 inch floppies and punch tape at work for awhile.

Still have an unused 3.5 inch floppy drive in my desktop computer.

And our first Stromberg-Carlson  DCO telecom switch recorded the call records on 20" Winchester tape drives

When I worked at the Richmond Data Center of C&P Telephone back in the 70's (predecessor of Verizon, and before the breakup of AT&T), the records of every long distance call were recorded on gigantic (like 6 feet in diameter), many inch wide rolls of punched paper tape. I used to see people transferring multiple rolls at a time down the hallways in large bins. I was told that during high call volumes, all calls were given a "free" second of call time because the paper tape recorders would get behind. Multipled by millions and millions of calls, the phone company lost a fair amount of money on those recording delays.