Web lists-archives.com

Re: Worst Browser Ever, but could be the best.

On 2017-11-09 10:43, Caver1 wrote:
On 11/9/17 3:34 AM, PietB wrote:
Caver1 wrote:
My mother-in-law doesn't think she has the internet even though she
is constanly on it for Facebook, Instagram, her email, whatever.
Just can't convince her of that fact.

If she makes the common mistake "internet = www" she's right.

-p

Most people I know don't know the difference and if you try to explain the difference they just get more confused.

Do the highway/destination simile:

Internet == highway network
www == restaurant, town, service centre, whatever...

If they ask, "But how do I get there?" answer: "All those li'l electrons carry the message, and they know where to go. Like a taxi."

Trust me, that works.

And kindly don't go all literalist on me. Metaphor and simile work because they are _not_ literal.

Have good day,

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com