Web lists-archives.com

Re: Worst Browser Ever, but could be the best.

On 11/08/2017 02:33 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 11/8/17 4:54 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
I hope she's getting the cheapest plan available -- speed is wasted on
her.

She indicated the cost was the same as Comcast, around $172. She has a TV.

Damn. Charter charges $29/month each for internet, voice and TV (basic, I assume) for the first year.

My plan for Internet and Voice from Comcast is going to cost me around
$68.00 for a year, then rise to $107 after a year. I am getting the only
plan available. That's about a $100 dollar savings from my current
Verizon DSL account and still a deal after a year.

The Ooma VOIP device (between $80 and $100 depending on when/where you buy it) works really well. ~$4/month for the required taxes thereafter. Add a Sentry device ($50 or so) and banish all robocalls and 95% of telemarketers forever.

I guess most people use cell rather than landlines so that information isn't all that useful, but I have a $10/year prepaid cell plan (no longer available) and rarely need to phone anyway.

I should have gone to the service center and picked up the modem.
Waiting for it is stressful. Found out after asking them to ship it that
public transportation could get me there.

Verizon FiOS was a consideration, but the apartment is already wired for
cable. FiOS installation in these old houses converted into apartments
isn't pretty, with the cable running out the side of the house, up the
outside of the building, back into the apartment, and who knows how they
get it to the spot the user wants it. My friends comes out under a
closet door in her living room, across a section of the floor to her TV
stand. My living room has no walls or closet facing an outside wall.
Kitchen, and the two bedrooms do have outside facing walls. My plan was
to put the Modem/router and phone on the kitchen table.

Anybody know a Modem/Router that works with Comcast/Xfinity Internet and
Voice? Let me know so I can save $10 a month on the modem rental fee. I
did do some window shopping, but didn't  find anything at Best Buy or
Target.

We've always used standard Motorola cablemodems with Charter, but the latest one is a Cisco. Mostly from yardsales. What does Comcast say is required?

--
Cheers, Bev
  "Calling someone an asshole for being rude to a telemarketer