Web lists-archives.com

Re: Intent to ship: A new front-end for addons.mozilla.org (AMO)

On 10/14/2017 6:35 AM, Desiree wrote:
On 10/13/2017 7:12 PM, B00ze wrote:
On 2017-10-13 10:02, WaltS48 <thalionusa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10/12/17 11:59 PM, B00ze wrote:
Good day.

So there is a new AMO, again...

Depends on what version of the browser I use. Old AMO when using 56.0,
new AMO when using Nightly 58.0a1. I didn't check with 57.0b7.

I clicked on the small "mobile version" link at the bottom of old AMO to
get to the new one...

HOWEVER, the site no longer specifies if an extension is supported on
your version of the browser or not, and I find this rather annoying.
The "slide to install" thingy is also pretty lame; a button does just
fine, no need to jump on the stupid "slide everything" trend. Maybe
this is just because I used the Mobile version of the site for testing?

The new site will only have Web Extensions, Themes, Dictionaries &
Language Packs and Search Tools, but not Complete Themes.

I am hoping they will not drop all XUL addons so quickly as November
2nd, FF52ESR will still be supported until Q2 2018. Has anyone copied
the AMO database yet? A few people were thinking about this over in
DevAddons...

I spent hours a few weeks ago downloading to disk the most recent compatible version all XUL extensions I use on Fx 52.4 ESR, Pale Moon 26.5 and SeaMonkey 2.48.  I'm wondering what will happen to Pale Moon and SeaMonkey if Mozilla suddenly removed all XUL extensions next month.  I hope they have the good sense to wait until Fx 52 ESR goes unsupported next year.  Someone should copy the entire database though.

Thunderbird is spinning up its own AMO site. AIUI, SM addons will live there, at least for some period of time.

Not fond of the slider installation method myself.

It's fine on a cellPhone/Tablet, but desktop sites/UI should show
buttons; clicking is what you do with a mouse, not sliding. It's
annoying that everyone is making their UI the same everywhere (the touch
version). A really really good and complex UI library should show a
button when on a desktop and a slide-thing when on a touchscreen,
transparently to the developer. I miss Amiga MUI sometimes...

Somebody will have to test on their old version once users are updated
to 57 and see if they get the old or new AMO.

There's also a small bug, at least in my Firefox - I can see the
number 1056 on the left edge of the page, next to "Rate your
experience" on every addOn page. No idea where this comes from,
haven't tried disabling various things to see if it will disappear...

Haven't noticed that.

Yeah, I spent about 2 hours on that. Turns out it was my "Video
Downloader Pro" addOn causing this. The addOn has absolutely nothing to
do on the AMO website, does not inject anything into webpages, nothing,
and yet, it was causing this bug. I think this is more of the "Strange
Bugs when using both WebExtensions and XUL extensions at the same time"
issues I and lots of other people are having mixing those 2
technologies. GitHub has plenty of talk about this, mostly related to
pictures not loading when clicking on them. I fixed it by updating the
addOn to its WebExtension version.

Well, that's it; have a look, it ain't bad - Good job Mozilla. AMO is,
as always, INFINITELY better than that garbage Google calls the Chrome
Store (what a horror).

Regards,