Web lists-archives.com

Re: Can anyone explain how this can happen?

On 31/10/2017 01:12, David E. Ross wrote:
On 10/30/2017 2:54 PM, David B. wrote:
Can YOU explain how this can happen?

In all the many Usenet posts which I have checked, after 'From' in the
message heading Thunderbird shows the name of the persona making the
post, followed by their email address ...

... with one principal exception. When *I* post it says 'Me' and then my
email address.

However, I noted THIS today (see image)

Pierre made a post, but in the message heading is say 'Me' followed by
Pierre's email address.

I'd welcome your thoughts on this.

If it helps, here is the message header:-

	[header snipped]

Pierre provides the munged (fake) E-mail address
<nobody@nowhere.invalid>, which is a very common practice.  You will
note that I use the same.

Ah! You are showing up as 'ME" too!

Is it possible that your address book has the
same entry for yourself?  Or do you have a news server account where
that is your indicated E-mail address?

Not as far as I can see.

I suggest you go to [Tools > Options] on the Thunderbird menu bar.

I don't have that on my iMac. I'll have a look on my Windows laptop in due course, but there may be a few days delay - I'mm off to visit my elderly sister for a few days.

Select the Display button and then the Advanced tab.  If the checkbox
under Display for "Show only display name for people in my address book"
is checked, uncheck it.

Thank you or your helpful advice, David.

Have a great day. :-)

--
David B.