Web lists-archives.com

Re: Multi-account containers extension

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:50:30 -0500, in mozilla.general, Hartdonor wrote:

>I was part of the test-pilot program for "Containers," which has now been
>released as an official extension called "Multi-account Containers." It
>was intriguing, but I felt a lot was missing.
>
>I can't figure out what this adds to Firefox, other than yet another "tab
>groups" extension. "Tab Groups" seems superior in fact. Why did Mozilla
>feel they needed their own version of it?
>
>Its name implies that I should be able to use multiple accounts with
>groups. It certainly doesn't allow me to open multiple profiles in the
>same window, or always open windows of a certain group in private mode.
>In fact, it appears to be disabled in private mode. What does
>"Multi-account" mean in the title of the extension.
>
>It's also missing what I would call basic functionality. Such as being
>able to right click on a link or bookmark and tell Firefox to "Open link
>in a container..." This means that it (still) has the awkward workflow of
>requiring you to open a blank container tab, click the link, and then
>choose "Always open in [tab]" in the Containers menu (if you want to
>always get there by clicking on the link). It seems like you should be
>able to right-click on a link and choose "Always open in [container]"
>from there. Instead, there's three steps. I can't remember if I was
>allowed a comment in the test-pilot program, but if I did, I'm sure I
>included this suggestion.
>
>Is anybody using this extension and, if so, what on earth for? What is
>"Multi-account Containers" trying to add to my Firefox experience? Why is
>it called "Multi-account" now? Is it just color-coded tab groups, or
>something more?
>
>I am somewhat baffled by what this extension is trying to do, and want to
>make sure I'm not missing something obvious and powerful that is unique
>to the extension.
>
>Anyone care to discuss?

I just tried turning it off and on for multiple banking accounts, and it
appears it does something to cookie storage? Upon turning it off, I had
to reestablish my credentials with the bank in each account.

I don't see anything added to cookie management in the "options" tab with
this extension enabled. Is there a way to see which cookies are
associated with which tab?

--
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.