Web lists-archives.com

Re: Multi-account containers extension

On 10/30/17 1:50 PM, Hartdonor wrote:
I was part of the test-pilot program for "Containers," which has now been
released as an official extension called "Multi-account Containers." It
was intriguing, but I felt a lot was missing.

I can't figure out what this adds to Firefox, other than yet another "tab
groups" extension. "Tab Groups" seems superior in fact. Why did Mozilla
feel they needed their own version of it?

Its name implies that I should be able to use multiple accounts with
groups. It certainly doesn't allow me to open multiple profiles in the
same window, or always open windows of a certain group in private mode.
In fact, it appears to be disabled in private mode. What does
"Multi-account" mean in the title of the extension.

It's also missing what I would call basic functionality. Such as being
able to right click on a link or bookmark and tell Firefox to "Open link
in a container..." This means that it (still) has the awkward workflow of
requiring you to open a blank container tab, click the link, and then
choose "Always open in [tab]" in the Containers menu (if you want to
always get there by clicking on the link). It seems like you should be
able to right-click on a link and choose "Always open in [container]"
from there. Instead, there's three steps. I can't remember if I was
allowed a comment in the test-pilot program, but if I did, I'm sure I
included this suggestion.

Is anybody using this extension and, if so, what on earth for? What is
"Multi-account Containers" trying to add to my Firefox experience? Why is
it called "Multi-account" now? Is it just color-coded tab groups, or
something more?

I am somewhat baffled by what this extension is trying to do, and want to
make sure I'm not missing something obvious and powerful that is unique
to the extension.

Anyone care to discuss?

Clicking the More link when you select the extension in the Add-ons Manager doesn't help explain it?

I open some bookmarks in Banking, Personal and Shopping container tabs.

I guess there weren't enough Test Pilot users to warrant making it a feature like Screenshots.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop