Web lists-archives.com

Re: Intent to ship: A new front-end for addons.mozilla.org (AMO)

Desiree wrote:

I am hoping they will not drop all XUL addons so quickly as November
2nd, FF52ESR will still be supported until Q2 2018. Has anyone copied
the AMO database yet? A few people were thinking about this over in
DevAddons...

I spent hours a few weeks ago downloading to disk the most recent compatible version all XUL extensions I use on Fx 52.4 ESR, Pale Moon 26.5 and SeaMonkey 2.48. I'm wondering what will happen to Pale Moon and SeaMonkey if Mozilla suddenly removed all XUL extensions next month. I hope they have the good sense to wait until Fx 52 ESR goes unsupported next year. Someone should copy the entire database though.

Definitely a concern.

I think I've seen one or two developers (and I don't remember which) indicate that they'll keep the XUL versions going, as long as there's supported browsers to use them.

One consideration with Seamonkey is that compatible extensions are listed (at least initially) at a slightly different location: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/. There's also some extensions that wider than just Firefox that can be used in both Thunderbird and Seamonkey.

Besides downloading (a good step), it's probably also good to follow and log links to developers' home pages, where those exist. I just went through a list of about a dozen or so extensions, and I found a mix of outcomes -- developers who are making the change, developers that aren't making the change, as well as several varieties of developers that seem to have abandoned projects. Some have only info at AMO, some link through to pages that don't resolve, or no info related to extensions. Some developer AMO pages list one or two extensions that are advertised to work in 57+, but others that don't, and no indication of status of ongoing development or abandonment.

Smith