Web lists-archives.com

Re: Refresh - big failure

Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
At 08:52 AM, 10/11/2017, Wednesday, WaltS48 wrote:
On 10/11/17 5:24 AM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
In an effort to deal with the persistent problem of FF running up the
memory to near 100% at which point it stops responding, I tried the
REFRESH process. Not only did it not solve that problem, but now
there is the unprecedented situation of FF running not only as an
app, as it should, but also as a series of background processes. At
one point there were SIX background processes. I've never seen FF run
that way. The memory, as usual, kept climbing well into the 90s. When
I end the background processes it crashes some tabs. Crashed tabs (as
opposed to the while program crashing) is another thing I haven't
experienced. Meanwhile FF has reached its non-responsive state of
paralysis a few more times.
I would scrap this program if I had any confidence that another
browser would work better, and that I could import my billions of
bookmarks.
I'm running FF 56 on Windows 10 but this problem dates back through
previous versions.
Thanks.
Sogn

What do the crash signatures report? You do submit them to Mozilla
don't you?

Here is an example from my Firefox Beta 57.0b7.

<https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/0298e1af-a6bc-480c-a26d-b36880171010

If you can go to about:support, open it in your browser and review it,
or copy and paste a Report ID in a reply.

Mine shows a bug report has been filed for my crashing problem.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

I don't think I'm getting crash reports because, technically, it isn't
crashing, i.e. it's not terminating on its own. It just stops responding
and the little blue circle in lieu of a cursor goes on spinning
indefinitely. Sometimes I give it several minutes but it remains
non-responsive, so I go to Task Manager and end the process, terminating
FF that way. When I restart it it usually gives me that "This is
embarrassing" page showing my previously opened windows/tabs in a list,
and I can choose to restart all or some of them. I don't see anything
about a crash report in those instances, and that's all I'm afflicted
with. Once in a great while it crashes and then there is a crash report
I submit to Mozilla.

Thanks.

Sogn
I have had the same problem. So much so that I started went back two FF versions. I switched to using Seamonkey for everything (I could live with its limitations, I could NOT live with FF. Finally, I got a notice to update to FF 56. I did so. Screwed up all my personalizations. I spent two full days trying to get it to look the way I wanted. No luck. I found the LittleFox Theme and installed that. Gets me close but still no cigar. I have been using that for the past few days. The stall/hang with the blue circle spinning. The good news is that the 'Restart' on this seems to work and brings me back to where I was before the stall/hang fairly quickly. I must say, the usability of Firefox has deteriorate DRASTICALLY with the past three or four updates.
I am NOT a happy camper with the way Firefox is evolving.

--
Frosted Flake