Web lists-archives.com

Re: OT: archiving Outlook

On 2017-10-06 22:02, T <ToddMargoChester@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Hi All,

Here is a real off topic one for your guys.

I have several customer on Outlook (no they
won't convert to Thunderbird) who WILL NOT
THROW ANYTHING AWAY. We are talking 30 GB PST
files. Yikes!

Is there any database program out there that
will save and catalog for quick (ha ha) search
gobs of Outlook eMails?

Many thanks,
-T

You can always see if the PST can be compacted to remove deleted emails:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Reduce-the-size-of-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost-E4C6A4F1-D39C-47DC-A4FA-ABE96DC8C7EF

There are tons of so called PST "compression" tools out there - they can remove and store all attachments outside of the PST, thereby making the PST smaller. Pick your favorite, I've never used any of them. I was unable to find a REAL compression tool, one that would for example run as a plugin and zip each email individually inside the PST, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

We use Symantec Enterprise Vault at work, it *is* a database thing, but that's never going to work for just a few users. You could try compressing with NTFS, but I tried that once and what happened to me was that NTFS uncompressed the ENTIRE file each time Outlook ran, so while Outlook was running I was using twice the space...

Sorry, no help lol.
Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@xxxxxxxxxxx
oO-( )-Oo  I am Ed McMahon of Borg: You may already be assimilated.