Web lists-archives.com

Re: Filters

On 9/26/2017 12:28 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
> WaltS48:
>
>> No, I found mozilla.support.seamonkey.dat in my 2.48 profile.
>>
>> So, how did you copy the filters? Edit all the folder .dat files?
>
> name_of_group.dat contains the filter rules for that group. So, if you
> want to copy the rules from group1 to group2 you have to copy
> name_of_group1.dat to name_of_group2.dat.
>
> But caution, name_of_group2.dat may already contain filters which would
> not survive a copy. Better edit name_of_group2.dat by C&P the relevant
> part of name_of_group1.dat.
>
> If you wish that the filters of name_of_group1.dat should apply to all
> groups of the news server, copy name_of_group1.dat to
> msgFilterRules.dat. Remember what I wrote above about C&P.
>
> And as always when manipulating files, you surely have made a backup in
> case you messed things up. :)
>
> Hartmut

I am quite sure SeaMonkey and Thunderbird use the same components for
handling filters.

In Thunderbird, each account-type has a folder within the profile.  (I
have only one profile for Thunderbird and five for browsing with
SeaMonkey.)  For example, I have folders named "Mail" and "News".
Within each of those folders, there are folders for each account.  (RSS
feeds have a folder named "Feeds" in the Mail folder.)

I have three different newsgroup accounts.  Their folders within News
are named according to their servers: "news.albasani.net",
"news.eternal-september.org", and "news.mozilla.org".  Within each of
those account folders, there are files for filters, all of which have
the extension ".dat".  Filters applying to only one newsgroup are in a
file named for that newsgroup (e.g., "alt.windows7.general.dat" for
filters on the alt.windows7.general newsgroup).  Filters applying to the
entire account are in the file "msgFilterRules.dat".

Yes, you can copy a filter file from one account to another.  You should
terminate all instances of SeaMonkey (or Thunderbird) before doing that.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Yes, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and other
"founding fathers" owned slaves.  However, they created
a nation.  Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, Thomas
"Stonewall" Jackson and other "heroes" of the
Confederacy tried to tear the nation apart.  Statues
and other monuments to those "heroes" of the
Confederacy actually celebrate traitors and treason.

See my <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_conf_flag.html>.