Web lists-archives.com

Re: Ad blocker roundup

On 9/23/2017 7:42 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 9/23/17 7:05 PM, Frank wrote:
On 9/23/2017 3:14 PM, Poutnik wrote:
Dne 23/09/2017 v 20:56 The Real Bev napsal(a):
On 09/23/2017 12:56 AM, Poutnik wrote:

I do not like ads either.

But I wonder if people hating to see any ads ever
consider that nothing free is free.

I can guarantee that I will never buy anything I see from an ad on a
website that I didn't deliberately seek out.  I subscribe to certain
store ads (Best Buy, Fry's, JoAnne's, Michael's) because I buy stuff
from them only when it's on sale.

It was not about buying....

If I see involuntary ads my response is invariably negative, along with
a little shot of annoyance which borders on some kind of psychological
pain.  Do the generators of the ads consider that my pain is a proper
price to pay for viewing their ad-supported content, or would they
rather that I remained neutral regarding their products?

Overconsuming of free content makes harm to a human mind.

I subscribe to local paper and that includes internet access.
Yet, I cannot view on line unless I turn off ad block.  I complained to Gannet who owns the paper and they said that ads are part of the price I have to pay.

I don't subscribe to the local paper, and got a limited amount of free articles. I would instruct Firefox to forget the site and get free articles again. It was tedious, but worked.

Then they put up a paywall which I blocked using the Privacy Badger extension. Now all articles are free.

I just tested this in a test profile allowing ads and the paper loads just fine. After reading 3 articles I got this message.

Register FREE for continued access.

Registration includes 15 articles per month

or I could login with Facebook.

I could also do that and in fact would ditch the subscription but the wife wants the local paper. The rag like Gannet and USA today only comes with left pages. It is awful. Unfortunately the demise of local balanced reporting can lead to increase government corruption as if we did not already have enough. I have an email from an ex-reporter who tongue in cheek or not wrote that when they joined the paper they had to pledge an oath of allegiance to the democrat party. This was after an inquiry as to why there was no story in the paper about Biden's daughter's arrest was not in the paper.

The paper is only good for seeing obituaries and comics but you do not get an obit unless you pay for it. Without payment you only get name and funeral provider. One of the most prominent females in the state died a couple of years ago and there was not a peep about her other than name.

Print media is in a death spiral and it is not pretty to watch. Neighbor in back who I never met resigned as president of the paper.
I think her job was to just increase revenue and had to answer to Gannett.