Web lists-archives.com

Re: Ad blocker roundup

On 09/23/2017 12:14 PM, Poutnik wrote:
Dne 23/09/2017 v 20:56 The Real Bev napsal(a):
On 09/23/2017 12:56 AM, Poutnik wrote:

I do not like ads either.

But I wonder if people hating to see any ads ever
consider that nothing free is free.

I can guarantee that I will never buy anything I see from an ad on a
website that I didn't deliberately seek out.  I subscribe to certain
store ads (Best Buy, Fry's, JoAnne's, Michael's) because I buy stuff
from them only when it's on sale.

It was not about buying....

If I see involuntary ads my response is invariably negative, along with
a little shot of annoyance which borders on some kind of psychological
pain.  Do the generators of the ads consider that my pain is a proper
price to pay for viewing their ad-supported content, or would they
rather that I remained neutral regarding their products?

Overconsuming of free content makes harm to a human mind.

I can see how the something-for-nothing mindset can be harmful. A sense of entitlement is destructive no matter what it consists of.

OTOH, those of us who were there (albeit young) when TV got started just assumed that all this stuff was free. We knew the commercials paid for it, but we also knew we were free to go do other things while the commercials were on. There was no obligation to actually watch them.

Trader Joe and Costco give free samples. There's no obligation to either try the sample or buy the product.

I don't regard this as either a moral or an economic question. They hope I'll spend money. I know I won't. Either way I'm not preventing someone else from buying their product.

--
Cheers, Bev
  "I don't trust carry-out food.  When you find hair in my cooking