Web lists-archives.com

Re: Ad blocker roundup

On 9/23/17 4:05 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 9/23/17 3:56 AM, Poutnik wrote:
>> Dne 23/09/2017 v 08:49 T napsal(a):
>>>
>>> I am after zero ads.  So, I would want to stick with an adblocker
>>> that states that.
>>>
>>> I really, really dislike ads.
>>>
>>> Sometimes a site will not let me in because I am blocking
>>> their ads.  I go elsewhere and so far have never been
>>> disappointed.
>>>
>>> I wonder if they have a metric that tell them how many folks
>>> just left their site instead of disabling their ad blocker?
>>>
>>> p.s I love NetFlix.  No ads (commercials)!
>>
>> I do not like ads either.
>>
>> But I wonder if people hating to see any ads ever
>> consider that nothing free is free.
>>
>> Seeing at least some ads
>> is just small paying pack e.g. for personal projects
>> as only few people make donations.
>
> It appears most web sites are doing quite well with ads being blocked.
>
> The majority of browser users probably don't even have an ad blocker
> installed.
>
> I can't find anything recent to support that claim.
>
> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=How+many+users+use+ad+blockers+in+a+browser&t=ffnt&ia=web>

Some numbers here.
https://pagefair.com/blog/2017/adblockreport/

The numbers are from Dec 2016.
At that time 18% of browser users in the US did have an ad blocker
installed. That's significant, and probably the number is even higher by
now.

At least it's big enough that Google are going to introduce an ad
blocker into Chrome. But they will allow ads which are going to meet
certain criteria.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/1/15726778/chrome-ad-blocker-early-2018-announced-google

That's a similar approach to what ABP started a while ago.