Web lists-archives.com

Re: Best HTML/CSS editor ever

On 09/20/2017 03:23 PM, Terry wrote:
On 9/19/2017 6:57 PM On a whim, T pounded out on the keyboard

On 09/19/2017 05:46 PM, Terry wrote:
I admin a lot of Mac users also, and OSX is no more "stable" than Windows.

In my "mixed" environments, I find windows workstations need about five
times the attention as OSX.  I kind of depends on what they are doing.

And, indeed, OSX has only a fraction of Windows business
apps available to it, so on is obviously getting more work
that the other.

The main difference I notice working with Linux, OSX and Windows
it that on Linux and OSX, I am working on the apps and training.
With Windows, I primarily work on system issues.  And Linux
and OSX do not require a nightly reboot to keep them stable.
I find more memory leaks in OSX apps than I do Linux, but no
where near the issues I see with Windows.

When I approach a messed up Windows workstation, on of
the first question I ask the users is "When was the last
time you rebooted?"  This is a real issue with Windows
Nein (10), as "Fast Boot" is on by default (I turn it
off).

It is really annoying to get to a custom site and find the
only thing that I have to do is reboot the turkey.  And I
can't charge for 5 minutes work and I don't have a
minimum charge.  And, yes, I ask them if they rebooted
before I get there, but what they tell me and what I find
are usually not the same thing.

Your OSX users likely just ignore freezes and hangs. I find they never say a word until you're sitting with them and something happens, and FINALLY they admit it's been occurring for some time. But Mac users rarely t-shoot anything. They just act like everything is fine...

I love it when they make fun of how much Windows crashes whilst
I watch them reboot.

Oh!  and the reboot button is on the keyboard which doesn't work
when the computer is seized up.

I think it is drugs in the keyboard keys.  Maybe not.

Is it just me or do you find the artsy-fartsy keyboards
and mice on an Apple to just be OBNOXIOUS?  I carry
my own mouse just for such occations.

Stating that Windows needs rebooting nightly is plain false. Although I recommend shutting down if a computer isn't used for 3 or more hours, almost all users leave their computers on all the time, and they're only rebooted when Windows updates, which is once a month. And the Windows servers run all month without rebooting, contrary to your claims.

Seriously.  You live a sheltered life.  Windows is a pain in the
ass when it comes to such things.  The updates are a nuisance as
the machines often do not work right afterwards.  I love
the one that swamps out one of your cores.  (I carry the cure
with me on flash drive.)

And yes, if there's an anomaly, usually rebooting is the obvious step. A user today had an issue when they clicked on an external drive, all folders above it would be selected, so pressing Enter caused all the selected folders to open at once. This person shuts their laptop down each evening, but I rebooted and the issue was gone.

I love walking up to a Windows Nein computer that is all buggered up,
grabbing the power cord, pulling it out, waiting a minute, plugging
it back in, and presto, it works.  "But I rebooted???!?!?".  "Actually
you did not.  I will turn off Fast Boot for you".

I have several Windows machines running as virtual machines for
research purposed for my customers.  But they are typically off,
unless I have to run Go To Assist, which doesn't have its Linux
client ready yet.  I turn off the updates because I just do
not have the patience for the s*** they create.  And they are rat
packed behind a fearsome firewall I wrote and have hardly ANY
access to the Internet.

Windows Nein cure all:

     shutdown /r /f /t 00