Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox Multi-Account Containers

On 09/17/2017 03:42 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
On 9/17/17 6:51 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 09/16/2017 01:47 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:
On 9/16/17 12:10 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 09/15/2017 02:06 PM, Christian Riechers wrote:
On 9/15/17 9:51 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/?utm_source=blog.mozilla.org&utm_campaign=firefox_frontier&utm_medium=referral

This sounds really desirable for staying logged in to several
different
gmail accounts at the same time.  Doesn't seem to work, though.

Clicking (or long-clicking) the icon does nothing except throw up a
triangle, a line and a generic background cursor. Long-clicking 'new
tab' from the File menu just opens a new tab. Is this one of those
things where linux (or FF52ESR) is just different, or does it conflict
with other extensions? What am I missing?

See the 'Requirements' section.
https://github.com/mozilla/testpilot-containers#readme

You'd think this would have been put on the mozilla/addons page,
wouldn't you?

Google is your friend.

Indeed, but if you're going to download a Mozilla extension for a
Mozilla product, you would THINK that essential information would be
available in the download area.  Github is for geeks, of which I am,
unfortunately, not one.  Just more of a geek groupie.

Containers are part of the Test Pilot program, and hence experimental
technology, not a mainstream feature (yet).
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/test-pilot-firefoxs-experimental-features>

OK, I should have read more carefully. Still, the actual extension page was NOT informative.

So I guess for people to try these some efforts are expected. I'd agree
though that a FF version requirement could be mentioned at a more
prominent place.
You can give feedback on the Test Pilot site.
https://testpilot.firefox.com/experiments

Shit.  NOT planning on updating.

I don't follow your logic.

Each time I've updated FF or TB I've lost something that was valuable to
me.  If I'm going to lose ALL my extensions whose authors are
unable/unwilling to jump through the web-extension hoops, I'm sticking
where I am.  Period.  I have yet to see a balancing gain in FF 57.

In any case, you do know that you can run multiple instances of Firefox
with different profiles, don't you?

Of course.  But if you're careless sometimes the new profile will write
over your carefully-crafted old profile, requiring you to copy from your
most recent backup.

I do agree with that. However, then you'll be stuck with your current
ESR version forever. I doubt that will benefit you in the long term.
And you exclude yourself from new and useful features.

Possibly, but I think 'diminishing returns' came into play a couple of years ago :-(

Reviewing the list of installed add-ons and looking for alternatives is
a hassle, but I guess it's your best bet to deal with web extensions.

The hassle is restoring all the personalizations that I've done to make FF and TB look/act like *I* want it to (close to Netscape!), not like Chrome or IE, and fixing/commenting out the stuff in the .css files that seems to work strangely/badly/not at all with the new versions. The good NEW stuff seems to be mainly extensions rather than base operations.

Since I've saved all my non-trash email since 1994
in my TB profile, and I can't guarantee that I won't have received
anything important since my last backup, this is a potential disaster.

It would certainly be easier to restore a Firefox profile, than a
Thunderbird profile with a huge email archive.
And Thunderbird will not go the web extensions route at this time.

I stuck at TB38.  So far I haven't seen any harm.

--
Cheers, Bev
  Q. What's the difference between Batman and Bill Gates?