Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox Multi-Account Containers

On 9/17/17 6:51 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 09/16/2017 01:47 AM, Christian Riechers wrote:

>>> You'd think this would have been put on the mozilla/addons page,
>>> wouldn't you?
>>
>> Google is your friend.
>
> Indeed, but if you're going to download a Mozilla extension for a
> Mozilla product, you would THINK that essential information would be
> available in the download area.  Github is for geeks, of which I am,
> unfortunately, not one.  Just more of a geek groupie.

Containers are part of the Test Pilot program, and hence experimental
technology, not a mainstream feature (yet).
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/test-pilot-firefoxs-experimental-features>

So I guess for people to try these some efforts are expected. I'd agree
though that a FF version requirement could be mentioned at a more
prominent place.
You can give feedback on the Test Pilot site.
https://testpilot.firefox.com/experiments

>>> Shit.  NOT planning on updating.
>>
>> I don't follow your logic.
>
> Each time I've updated FF or TB I've lost something that was valuable to
> me.  If I'm going to lose ALL my extensions whose authors are
> unable/unwilling to jump through the web-extension hoops, I'm sticking
> where I am.  Period.  I have yet to see a balancing gain in FF 57.
>
>> In any case, you do know that you can run multiple instances of Firefox
>> with different profiles, don't you?
>
> Of course.  But if you're careless sometimes the new profile will write
> over your carefully-crafted old profile, requiring you to copy from your
> most recent backup.

I do agree with that. However, then you'll be stuck with your current
ESR version forever. I doubt that will benefit you in the long term.
And you exclude yourself from new and useful features.

Reviewing the list of installed add-ons and looking for alternatives is
a hassle, but I guess it's your best bet to deal with web extensions.

> Since I've saved all my non-trash email since 1994
> in my TB profile, and I can't guarantee that I won't have received
> anything important since my last backup, this is a potential disaster.

It would certainly be easier to restore a Firefox profile, than a
Thunderbird profile with a huge email archive.
And Thunderbird will not go the web extensions route at this time.