Web lists-archives.com

Re: Replacement for Google Search

On 2017-09-15 05:05, PietB <www.godfatherof.nl/@opt-in.invalid> wrote:

B00ze wrote:
Both DDG and IxQuick fail the "Better Privacy 1.77" test.
They give like 5 relevant results before they start showing
things like "blah blah bought by Russian billionaire for
£1.77" which is totally irrelevant to my search...

Haven't seen any of that with Ixquick. Might be because Russian
billionaires don't speak Dutch. :-) From a digital point of view
though the "versatile stain remover" from WalMart was kinda cute.
But with 5 relevant results, what more do you want?

I took that example from IxQuick, searching for "Better Privacy 1.77" - for some reason it returned lots of things with "1.77" in them but with no relevance to Better Privacy. But my query is poor, I should add "Firefox" to the query, I'm just spoiled by Google.

Did you try Bing ? But then you would not be MS free.
Non Windows machines may explode during Bing search. (joking)

Yup, as Good Guy suggested, I think Bing is my new search for a
few weeks. It returned good results on my single test.

On your "Better Privacy 1.77" test Bing gave 3 "relevant" results:
in German, Vietnamese and Chinese. Very helpful indeed... The only
positive thing is that my machine did survive the test.

LOL! Strange, Bing gives me about 12 good results - this is not the ~20 that Google manages to show in the first 2 pages, but it's better than five! I ignored the language of the pages in this test because I needed to download the addOn; I didn't care which country had made a copy of the XPI before it disappeared from Mozilla AddOns, so long as I could download it!

I'm still not using Bing - still thinking about it. Maybe I can stick with Duck Duck Go and just not be so freaking lazy when I write my search terms. With Google I often (not always) get better results with fewer terms, so long as I use the same terms that everyone else is using (that is what the auto-complete is for).

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@xxxxxxxxxxx
oO-( )-Oo  "I am the paper cut that ruins your day!" -Darkwing