Web lists-archives.com

Re: Replacement for Google Search

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/09/17 09:00, PietB wrote:
B00ze wrote:
So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?

Nope. Only very occasionally. Ixquick aka Startpage is
my default, with Duckduckgo as second.

If you're using DuckDuckGo, I believe that database being searched is being provided by Yandex.

I'm afraid you /are/ using Google if you use IxQuick/Startpage (also see Poutnik's reply).

I use IxQuick most of the time. It's definitely streaming Google's results, but I notice that it's not quite as thorough. Still, it insulates your activities from Google.

Quite some time ago I questioned the low number of hits that Startpage had returned, compared to the same search using Google itself. The reply from Startpage surprised me; basically, it was that Startpage returns whatever Google allows it to.

I don't know if that has changed or not. Most of the searches I ask Startpage to do I find the links I need. Rarely, though, I have to resort to Google itself, and I can't remember the last time I didn't find what I was looking for using that.

What I do with Mozilla browsers is to put a folder in my Bookmarks bar, with links to several search engines. I've never liked integrating my address bar and search engine. Thus, I have my browser set not to query a search engine from the address bar, and I don't use a search bar. Also, I'm aggressive about using NoScript, and Google is normally disabled (and I enable only when it's necessary to get a script that uses Google's scripting engine to run).

Thus, in normal operation, if I need to search, I click on the folder in the Bookmarks bar, and choose the preferred engine. Most often, that IxQuick, and most of the time, it's sufficient for my needs. If it's not, or if I know that I'm doing more in-depth research, I'll go to Google, or more frequently, I'm using Bing.

Elsewhere in this thread, somebody mentioned Yahoo, and that's usable, although I believe that they're streaming results from Bing.

Depending on my mood, I may occasionally make use of other search engines. I think most everybody is streaming results from either Google or Bing (although there are exceptions), but with each different front end, you will see different results.

Smith