Web lists-archives.com

Re: Replacement for Google Search

On 2017-09-14 11:46, Luis wrote:
B00ze wrote:
Good day.

I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook algorithms probably no one saw it.

In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search results rankings and YouTube funding, I am looking for an alternative search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2 weeks now and I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I was looking for the Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas Google returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their search results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm not exactly Google-Free if that is what they do.

So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?

Thank you much.
Best Regards,

The problem with Google is very simple. They put on top of the search results what they wish.

Actually, it's an algorithm that ranks websites by popularity. The more hits, the more popular. The list is modified by your search history. This creates a dumb circle, since fewer than 5% of searchers go beyond the first page, and 80% don't go past the first half-dozen hits or so.

If you happen to be interested in how silly some woo-woo ideas are, and search a half dozen or so of e.g. Moon-Landing-Was-Faked sites, the next time you look for info about the Moon, you'll get too many hits for the faked-moon-landing sites.

According the The Register IIRC, Google is redesigning its algorithms so that the circle will be at least semi-smart.

If you own a site and you stick to "their SEO rules" your pages might appear on top of the list but, let's say you don't pay Google's AdWords then your site is placed at the bottom or simply ignored in the search results.

One way around this is to use quoted search terms, and/or long search strings.

Rule exception: Big names are on top, particularly if they love Google.
That's the way Google's dictatorship works. Next step is https. If the site use http their pages will be banned. Now, regarding other search engines. Unfortunately most of them use Google results, but if you search: "search engines alternatives", you will get a bunch of them.

Yup, but most users have no idea that there are alternatives. Educate your friends'n'relations. Install alternative search engines for them, and show them how to switch between/select search engines.

It's like trying to stem the tide. You can't stop the tide, but you build a higher, longer dock....

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com