Web lists-archives.com

Re: Replacement for Google Search

Jeff Layman wrote:
> PietB wrote:
>> B00ze wrote:
>>> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>>
>> Nope. Only very occasionally. Ixquick aka Startpage is
>> my default, with Duckduckgo as second.
>
> I'm afraid you /are/ using Google if you use IxQuick/Startpage
> (also see Poutnik's reply).

Indirectly, yes. And anonymized.
What I like in particular about SP is that you can "encode"
your settings in the url, although of course that brings a
small privacy risk with it.

> Quite some time ago I questioned the low number of hits that
> Startpage had returned, compared to the same search using
> Google itself. The reply from Startpage surprised me; basically,
> it was that Startpage returns whatever Google allows it to.

I'm not surprised. Google should be able to detect that a
query comes from one of SP's servers, and return only a
limited number of results. As can other search engines that
SP uses. But in general I'm very much satisfied with what
SP does return. It's only when I find the number of results
very/extremely low that I query Google etc. directly.

> I don't know if that has changed or not. Most of the searches
> I ask Startpage to do I find the links I need. Rarely, though,
> I have to resort to Google itself, and I can't remember the
> last time I didn't  find what I was looking for using that.

Same here: see above.

-p