Web lists-archives.com

Re: FF 52ESR

On 2017-09-10 11:07, The Real Bev <bashley101+moz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 09/10/2017 02:25 AM, Desiree wrote:
On 9/9/2017 2:26 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 09/09/2017 05:20 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 9/9/17 4:28 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
I have yet to see a definitive answer, even in m.s.f, from which I'm
permanently banned:  Will older versions of FF (including 52ESR)
continue to operate after the drop-dead date in 2018 with all 'legacy'
extensions previously installed or has Mozilla figured out a way to
render them inoperable even on older FF versions?

NOT going to update.  Period.

I don't have the definitive answer, but I would expect the last 52 ESR
release and older versions to continue working.

You won't get security and stability updates, and all extensions that
you use probably won't be maintained or available on AMO.

Not going to worry about that.  I'm increasingly displeased with
updates, which tend to be what a net-friend calls slob-enablement for
the use of cubicle meat :-(

You can always install the current Nightly, created a separate profile
and see how much better it is. 😉

I'll probably do that.  I installed 52 as a test and after tweaking it
to at least some level of satisfaction I didn't feel like retreating to
47, which I THINK I was using before.  I've got a snail-trail of older
versions and profiles that I should really get rid of, although I really
don't NEED the space.  8TB drives split into 8 1TB partitions (current
installation is only 231GB) are cool!

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/desktop/#nightly>

Perhaps...

Don't forget to download to disk (and backup too) all legacy extensions
you use.  Do this for each gecko based browser you have including
various Fx versions, SeaMonkey, Pale Moon, etc.  My friends and I spent
hours doing this recently.  I have mostly the same extensions on all
gecko browsers but different versions for different browsers and every
one had to be downloaded to disk and then saved also on an external disk
and on a thumb drive.

I was under the impression that they're already on our HDs, albeit with
cryptic names.  I have multiple full-installation backups.  Is it likely
that Mozilla will reach into our computers and delete our extensions
against our will?

No, they won't, but seeing as the maker of Better Privacy decided to remove his AddOn from AMO early, I had to scramble and search to find some place where to download version 1.77 (hopefully compatible with FF52 to which I am migrating to this week.) Alice White also removed his extensions some time back (of which Show Parent Folder is the most useful). I therefore spent hours yesterday downloading the latest versions of all the XPIs I use. Can never be too careful with this; when ESR moves to Web Extensions Mozilla will yank all XUL from AMO...

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@xxxxxxxxxxx
oO-( )-Oo  Have you hugged your sysop lately?