Web lists-archives.com

Re: OT: Telemetry Data Collection

On 2017-08-26 00:44, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what WaltS48 graced us with on 8/23/2017 4:47 PM:
On 8/23/17 7:03 PM, Wolf K wrote:

Question: How many users activate the telemetry for gathering usage statistics?
Answer: Damn few.

You have stats to back up that claim?

REF: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/24/mozilla_considers_move_to_opt_out_telemetry_for_firefox/

[excerpt quote=\"
Mozilla may require users to opt-out of sending telemetry from its Firefox browser because */so few/* have opted in that it's hard for developers to get a good sample of what causes problems.
\" /]

"So few have opted in". Exactly as I inferred from general principles. Opt-in means self-selection, which means bias. The devs' past reliance on biased telemetry data has led to some really silly design changes, most of which have triggered comment here.

BTW, "negative option" is illegal in Canada and the EU, so Moz will get a mostly US data, ie, just another biased sample. Also, in both jurisdictions, the purpose for which the data will be used must be clearly explained, and the data must be deleted when that purpose is fulfilled.

Also...

[excerpt quote=\"
Most controversial is the idea that the data collection let Mozilla compile a browser-side “top 100” of sites users visit. As developer David Teller explains, there is a “considerable bias” between users who okay telemetry collection and those who don't, which makes it hard for developers to optimise the browser for “websites that matter to our users”.
\" /]
The above stated reason is a bit dubious as the need to change it to opt-out. Perhaps what it *will do* is give Mozilla a "top 100" of sites that its users visit which seems a lot more ominous.

I think the problem is that a lot of websites are sloppily written, and/or violate the standards. FF is known for being unforgiving with errors. The above quote is an acknowledgment that FF has to be as easy-going as IE and Chrome if it's to retain market share.

Just my 1.6 cents (US) worth.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com