Web lists-archives.com

Re: Fraud/stupidity/something else?

On 08/01/2017 03:26 AM, Daniel wrote:
On 1/08/2017 8:44 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 07/31/2017 01:30 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
This morning I got an email from Ava's Flowers in Mahwah NJ responding
to a message I sent them using the email address I use for the mozilla
groups (I add the +moz).  Why would anybody do such a thing, especially
someone who just used my address without changing/thinking?

I get stuff like this all the time at my main address, but this is the
first time I could point the finger at somebody who reads these groups.

Direct mail advertising entities get/buy mailing lists from all sorts of
'services'.  Such services including spamlists acquire addresses in
every conceivable manner, including malware which is capable of
harvesting email addresses from user storage.

A user who corresponds with the moz group or list can store your address
in hir Sent folder in the body of a reply to you, and that address can
be harvested and make its way to a spamlist purchased by Ava's marketers.

Ava's is a family owned business expanding from local NJ storefront to a
much larger national wholesaler, so they would use all manner of
marketing advice.

Also, the moz lists are carried on GG where your address here is
published only mildly munged by removing the +moz part.

<sigh>  The +moz part IS a mung so that maybe I'll know where my address
was harvested.   Not that it does a lot of good.

Hey, Bev, I'll go you one better ..... over the last week or so, "I've",
apparently, sent myself several SPAM messages .... from my real, ISP
provided, email address to my real, ISP provided, email address!!

Don't know how many others "I've" sent them to!! If anyone here is
receiving them .... sorry!!

That happened to me once on facebook. FB also has a problem with some asshole using people's addresses to post a .jpg ad for discounted Oakley sunglasses. It happens maybe once every couple of weeks, but I only have 100 friends. Facebook can't seem to do anything about it, or doesn't want to.

I just got an email from a medical helicopter service in the UK explaining that they can't begin to process my 5 pounds/month contribution until they receive my correct phone, etc. I believe it's a true response rather than a scam because I get stuff like this every day. I can't understand what assholes get out of doing this. OTOH, it's economical -- annoy two entities with one signup.

--
Cheers, Bev
  "Everyone ought to stop and smell crayons once in a while."