Web lists-archives.com

Re: Firefox keeps not responding

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 08:35:11 -0400, Disaster Master
<disasterlistmanager@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Since you are misquoting me, I'll just eliminate all of the misquotes...

Must be a bug in your newsreader since I quoted you unchanged.

>On Fri Jul 28 2017 21:47:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Lucifer
>Morningstar <not@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I picked up a desktop computer that had been thrown out.
>> It had Windows XP and 256 MB RAM.
>> I upped the RAM to 2 GB then threw to whole thing out!
>
>Well that was pretty smart. I have added your email to my list of
>contacts to always solicit advice for ... nothing...

I asked someone who helps people with computers and he said
there were too many such computers and he could not use it.

>>> Ok, to clarify, when I said 'bare minimum', I meant if you want the
>>> computer to be usable without having to wait forever for every little
>>> task you attempt to do.
>
>>> Will it boot with less, of course.
>>
>> Puts a dent in your 4GB minimum story.
>
>No, it simply clarifies it as to what I meant.

Why don't you say what you mean?

>You can run a car on alcohol that is not meant to run on alcohol.
>
>Doesn't mean you should do it.

I am not aware of alcohol that is meant to run on alcohol.

>>> You have an extremely low bar for the definition of 'nicely'.
>
>> I said ordinary programs and its true.
>> It can play youtube full screen.
>> I suppose it helps that it has a dual core processor and
>> an Nvidea 128 MB video card.
>> I have an Acer Aspire One netbook with 1 gig RAM and XP.
>> It runs ordinary programs OK.
>
>Again, you have an extremely low bar for the meaning of 'nicely' - and
>I'll go ahead and add 'ordinary programs' to that list.

It works well enough to be useful.

>> Microsoft say 1.0 Ghz CPU and 1 gig RAM will run Windows 10.
>
>Microsoft is a legal fiction, so cannot say anything. I concede that the
>marketing morons who work for said legal fiction say silly things like
>the above, but that doesn't mean you should follow their minimum advice.
>
>Besides - those minimums are often hard coded minimums, meaning, the
>software literally will refuse to install if you don't meet them.

Duh!

>> I was given a Dell laptop which I fixed and upgraded from Windows 7
>> to Windows 10. It has a paid Nortons with 100 days left.
>
>Remove it and I'll be happy to help you with any other problems you may
>still have. I only charge $75/hour for remote support, if I resolve your
>issues within the first 15 minutes the cost is only $25.

What if you can't solve the problem like my 2009 Apple Xserve which
has two quad core processors only one of which has power?
It works nicely as a single quad core server but I want both CPUs
to be working.