Web lists-archives.com

Re: Fraud/stupidity/something else?

The Real Bev wrote:
This morning I got an email from Ava's Flowers in Mahwah NJ responding to a message I sent them using the email address I use for the mozilla groups (I add the +moz). Why would anybody do such a thing, especially someone who just used my address without changing/thinking?

I get stuff like this all the time at my main address, but this is the first time I could point the finger at somebody who reads these groups.

Direct mail advertising entities get/buy mailing lists from all sorts of 'services'. Such services including spamlists acquire addresses in every conceivable manner, including malware which is capable of harvesting email addresses from user storage.

A user who corresponds with the moz group or list can store your address in hir Sent folder in the body of a reply to you, and that address can be harvested and make its way to a spamlist purchased by Ava's marketers.

Ava's is a family owned business expanding from local NJ storefront to a much larger national wholesaler, so they would use all manner of marketing advice.

Also, the moz lists are carried on GG where your address here is published only mildly munged by removing the +moz part.

--
Mike Easter