Web lists-archives.com

Re: When Firefox will end Flash support

On 7/28/17 8:03 PM, Desiree wrote:
On 7/27/2017 10:57 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
As reported in another post.

Adobe announced today that it plans to retire Adobe Flash in December 2020 when it will stop updating and distributing Flash.

Mozilla announced it's road map for the end of Flash on the same day.

In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no longer supported by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox will load the plugin.

REF:
<https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2017/07/25/firefox-roadmap-flash-end-life/>
and <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap>

So, Mozilla intends to go back through ALL previous versions of Fx and remove Flash ability?

So sorry, I do not see where they state that anywhere.

Maybe a misinterpretation of what happens after Firefox 56.0 and the following versions in 2018 and beyond.

That is not only nuts but can that even be done?  (Of course, the remark comes from the leader of the faction in Mozilla that won control some time ago and has proceeded to almost totally destroy the browser).

Then Smedberg says "As part of improving Firefox performance and security this year, Firefox users will choose which sites may run the Flash plugin. This choice will give users the ability to keep using legacy sites that require Flash, while letting modern sites shine with blazingly fast HTML speed."  That too is a lie.  HTML5 playback is a joke. It is slow and ugly compared to Flash.  I do not allow HTML5 playback in any browser.  Hopefully, by the end of 2020 it will be on par with current Flash playback but until it is, I will  use Flash only.  There is nothing wrong with Fx performance but then I use Fx 45.9 ESR.

As for suddenly allowing Fx users to choose which sites can run Flash, that remark makes zero sense.  I have ALWAYS been able to choose which sites and which pages on which sites and which links on which sites are allowed to run Flash.  I have used Fx since Phoenix days and I cannot recall any version where I couldn't fully control Flash on a site.  He is full of hot air in claiming the ability to control Flash on websites is something new to Fx later this year.  He seems to think extensions don't exist and that "ask always" does not exist and that no extensions to get rid of ads exist.  The real problems exist with HTML5 playback as that is much more difficult for the user to have full control over.  If Mozilla wants to do something useful they need to offer more controls for it.

We have always been able to choose, but what was the default setting?

Starting in Firefox version 55, the Flash plugin is "click to play" by default. For more information, see the article Why do I have to click to activate plugins? .

REF: <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/set-adobe-flash-click-play-firefox>

Looks like the default was Always Activate.

    Starting with Firefox 47 in June 2016, all plugins other than Adobe Flash are click-to-activate. Users choose which sites are allowed to activate each plugin. In addition, the 64-bit Firefox for Windows only supports the Flash plugin.

REF: <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap>

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>