Web lists-archives.com

Re: dropping alsa support and forcing pulseaudio

On 2017-07-02 11:54, nylxs wrote:

> Hello
>

> I'm sending this out knowing that I doubt anyone will read it or listen.
>  In my experience, once horrible decisions like this are made, the
> people who make them get entrenched, egos fly and  no amount of
> discussion helps, but forcing linux users to adopt pulseaudio is a
> non-starter.  The people not using pulseaudios aren't idiots, they do it
> for good reasons and the best of those reason is that we don't want to
> use software written by Leonard Pottering, especially software that is
> not only buggy, fat, integrated into desktops we going use, insecure,
> and wrapped into systemd, but is not necessary.
>
> You have made firefox a non-starter after decades of use.  You could
> have just borrowed flexible code from VLC.

I hope this decision to be so insistent on not using software from a
person who is an arrogant asshole works out for you.  Because, I'm sure
once you find out Linus is an arrogant asshole, you'll decide that you
just can't use anything that was developed by him either.

I'm not saying they are the *same* sort of arrogant asshole, but in
essence, I would say that they have certain parallels along the line.
It's just that you take Linus's hard line approach to be "right" and
Pottering's to be "wrong".

While I lean strongly on you being "mostly right" the problem is what
you're asking is developers to either only support your favourite thing,
or for them to be like certain projects which maintain multiple ways of
handling databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, sqlite).

It can become very difficult, and Mozilla may be willing to get you to
provide support for ALSA if you wish to.  Because clearly it is very
easy for you, so go for it...

Jigme Datse Yli-Rasku

--
Jigme Datse Yli-Rasku
jigme.datse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Preferred address for new messages)

Jigme Datse Yli-Rasku
PO Box 270
Rossland, BC V0G 1Y0
Canada

... This message should be electronically signed, and if the sender ...
... has your public key, may also be encrypted.                     ...
... If you have any questions about this, please email, or call.    ...