Web lists-archives.com

Re: Clear Commuknication: was: Re: I'm Really Not Dead

On 06/23/2017 03:04 PM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-06-23 16:11, rebro wrote:
Am 23.06.2017 um 21:50 schrieb The Real Bev:
On 06/23/2017 12:18 PM, Jim Fisher wrote:
On 21 Jun 2017 at 23:04, Joy Beeson wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 16:39:34 -0400, "Wolf K." <wolfmac@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

"They" as a the generic, non-specific personal pronoun has been around
for centuries.

And it has been a confusing abomination all that time.

I just heard something which added the reflexive, which made it even
sillier.  "They rode the bicycle themselves."  At the very least, the
person could have used 'themself' :-(

We need a new pronoun to match the French "on", which covers the
singular case
which was under discussion and the general plural as in "they say that
..."

Indeed.  It's my understanding that 'on' has replaced 'nous' in a number
of cases.  'One' in English just sounds too pompous for general usage
and applies to a general concept rather than a specific activity anyway.

Isn't the French 'on dit' an equivalent to the English 'people (tend to)
say'?

The usual translation is "They say..." As in "They say UFOs have landed
in a field near Much Blithering."

Is that near Little Blithering?  I think I've been there.

--
Cheers. Bev
   It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament