Web lists-archives.com

Re: Clear Commuknication: was: Re: I'm Really Not Dead

On 2017-06-21 22:04, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 16:39:34 -0400, "Wolf K." <wolfmac@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

"They" as a the generic, non-specific personal pronoun has been around
for centuries.

And it has been a confusing abomination all that time.

A common reaction. ;-)

Do you never use "They say that..." to mean "Many/most people say that..."?

Anyhow, if you were right, it would have disappeared long ago. Language changes, that is, people stop using words/phrases/grammatical structures/etc that no longer meet some need, and adopt/adapt/invent new ones.

BTW, I find pronouns without clear antecedents much more confusing than the generic "they", which in my experience is almost never confusing. There's one in my previous sentence, but the context of this post supplies the necessary antecedent, so most readers will have no trouble knowing what I intend.

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com