Web lists-archives.com

Re: OT: Radio Shack

On 2017-06-21 12:10, The Real Bev wrote:
On 06/21/2017 08:03 AM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-06-20 16:42, The Real Bev wrote:
On 06/20/2017 09:28 AM, Sailfish wrote:
6/20/2017 8:54 AM:

And not cheap.  And the staff didn't know much, certainly not about the
few parts they still offered.  I hope they were suitably embarrassed
that a grandma knew more about their stuff than they did.

heh

I think the last time I visited a Radio Shack was when I went in and
looking around and, only seeing more expensive than WallyMart electronic
gadgets, asked the attendant where the solder was and he uncertainly
suggested I look at some dim lit corner of the store. Then, inquired if
I was interested in a cell phone plan.

Surprise ending -- I was sure he was going to ask you what it was.

It was odd to realize that the emotion I was experiencing at that moment
was probably very close to what a carriage driver felt when visiting a
downsized horse and buggy store looking for a buggy whip.

We all need to be congratulated for not slapping the living shit out of
people who really deserve it.  Not so much the attendant, but the people
who decided that that level of service was acceptable.

Minimum wage usually means zero training, or maybe a half hour to show
the kid how not to mess up the cash register.

When I worked at Sears in ~1960 new salespeople got a whole day of paid
training.  How to work the cash register, how to make change, courtesy,
store rules, and especially how to deal with Sears revolving credit
cards.  If someone wanted to charge something and not pay it off at the
end of the month (different card) you had to write a lot of stuff down
and make a phone call to the central approval function that generally
took something like 10 minutes to complete.  We also helped people
choose merchandise when they wanted help.  I felt really strange
advising grandmothers on the purchase of towels and sheets.

Newbies were paid 10 cents/hour over minimum wage, which was $1.00 at
the time.  We also got a 1% commission on everything we sold, which kept
me in cigarettes.

I was always amazed that people would charge small amounts (under $5) on
their revolving charge and be paying interest on it for however long it
took to pay it off.  It was probably at that point that I learned how
stupid people can be.

Read Kahnemann on decision making. People underestimate a future harm and over-estimate a present good. That's just the way the brain works. You do it too, just not when it comes to $$$.

:-)

--
Wolf K.
https://kirkwood40.blogspot.com