Web lists-archives.com

Re: OT: Radio Shack

On 06/21/2017 08:03 AM, Wolf K. wrote:
On 2017-06-20 16:42, The Real Bev wrote:
On 06/20/2017 09:28 AM, Sailfish wrote:
6/20/2017 8:54 AM:

And not cheap.  And the staff didn't know much, certainly not about the
few parts they still offered.  I hope they were suitably embarrassed
that a grandma knew more about their stuff than they did.

heh

I think the last time I visited a Radio Shack was when I went in and
looking around and, only seeing more expensive than WallyMart electronic
gadgets, asked the attendant where the solder was and he uncertainly
suggested I look at some dim lit corner of the store. Then, inquired if
I was interested in a cell phone plan.

Surprise ending -- I was sure he was going to ask you what it was.

It was odd to realize that the emotion I was experiencing at that moment
was probably very close to what a carriage driver felt when visiting a
downsized horse and buggy store looking for a buggy whip.

We all need to be congratulated for not slapping the living shit out of
people who really deserve it.  Not so much the attendant, but the people
who decided that that level of service was acceptable.

Minimum wage usually means zero training, or maybe a half hour to show
the kid how not to mess up the cash register.

When I worked at Sears in ~1960 new salespeople got a whole day of paid training. How to work the cash register, how to make change, courtesy, store rules, and especially how to deal with Sears revolving credit cards. If someone wanted to charge something and not pay it off at the end of the month (different card) you had to write a lot of stuff down and make a phone call to the central approval function that generally took something like 10 minutes to complete. We also helped people choose merchandise when they wanted help. I felt really strange advising grandmothers on the purchase of towels and sheets.

Newbies were paid 10 cents/hour over minimum wage, which was $1.00 at the time. We also got a 1% commission on everything we sold, which kept me in cigarettes.

I was always amazed that people would charge small amounts (under $5) on their revolving charge and be paying interest on it for however long it took to pay it off. It was probably at that point that I learned how stupid people can be.

--
Cheers, Bev
    "Tip: Place your houseplants in front of the television during