Web lists-archives.com

Re: Is FF losing popularity in so dramatic way?

On 06/20/2017 11:07 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
On 06/18/2017 12:12 PM, EE wrote:

I should say that Opera (webkit) is even better than Iron, because the
people developing it are still interested in the user's privacy.

The most important thing about firefox is its user-configurability.  I
have a lot of useful functions always visible actoss the top and
'tree-style tabs' down the right side.  Both of these are REALLY
important to me, and their lack is one of the reasons (aside from the
crashing, of course) I really despise chrome.  It offers some vertical
tabbing extensions, but they're so awful they're useless.

Would any of the other browsers make me happy?

Doubtful on Opera, if you want configurability.  I make occasional use
of Opera, and there's lots to like about it, but by comparison to
Firefox or Seamonkey, the configurability is definitely less.

I haven't seen Iron, but if it's a Chromium-derived browser, I wouldn't
expect much more than you get with Chrome itself.

For tree-style tabs in configuration, I think the best Mozilla option is
Seamonkey. Since I'm a Seamonkey user, I consider even the Firefox UI
for configuration (and copied by Thunderbird) to be inferior to what I
get with Seamonkey.

Installed and tried.  It seems OK.

Firefox frequently gives the "script screwed up" message -- generally after EVERYTHING has slowed down so that it takes many seconds for the mouse to move. Drudge and Facebook are frequent offenders. I've dumped pretty much all my FF extensions except the ones I deem essential -- if I have to get rid of those I might as well choose a different browser even though I feel REALLY disloyal about it.

Chrome doesn't give the 'bad script' message, but it acts the same -- just less frequently than FF.

I tried to go back to FF47 (I think I was happy then), but as soon as I installed it (new profile, copied over stuff from FF52 profile) it started to update to 53 in spite of my NEVER CHECK FOR UPDATES instruction. Deleted the whole thing, but maybe I'll try again...

The easy thing, of course, is to just bend over and smile. It is not in my nature to do that :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
   "It's too bad stupidity isn't painful." - A. S. LaVey