Web lists-archives.com

Re: Is FF losing popularity in so dramatic way?

The Real Bev wrote:
On 06/18/2017 12:12 PM, EE wrote:

I should say that Opera (webkit) is even better than Iron, because the
people developing it are still interested in the user's privacy.

The most important thing about firefox is its user-configurability. I have a lot of useful functions always visible actoss the top and 'tree-style tabs' down the right side. Both of these are REALLY important to me, and their lack is one of the reasons (aside from the crashing, of course) I really despise chrome. It offers some vertical tabbing extensions, but they're so awful they're useless.

Would any of the other browsers make me happy?

Doubtful on Opera, if you want configurability. I make occasional use of Opera, and there's lots to like about it, but by comparison to Firefox or Seamonkey, the configurability is definitely less.

I haven't seen Iron, but if it's a Chromium-derived browser, I wouldn't expect much more than you get with Chrome itself.

For tree-style tabs in configuration, I think the best Mozilla option is Seamonkey. Since I'm a Seamonkey user, I consider even the Firefox UI for configuration (and copied by Thunderbird) to be inferior to what I get with Seamonkey.

In any case, remember that you don't have commit to one browser exclusively. I routinely have Seamonkey and Firefox on all my machines, and I often install Opera. On a couple of test setups I have in virtual machines, I also have (or have had) Chrome, Waterfox, PaleMoon, Epic and Lunascape, in addition to the browsers I use routinely. In fact, on a couple of my test setups, I have both the current version of firefox installed, as well as beta releases. It's not a problem to have both installed, even running simultaneously (although I generally avoid that), as long as you don't try to have both accessing the same profile at the same time. And on my Win 10 setups (in virtual machines), I generally leave Edge to be the primary browser (even if I have others installed) -- not because I like Edge, or really care about it, but it does help to know what users who do use Edge are seeing. Same thing with IE on older installations of Windows.

Beyond simple testing of UI functionality, having other browsers allows me to do things like switching to another browser, if my primary profile isn't behaving (and I do a lot of tweaking with per-site cookie permissions, and use of AdBlock Plus and NoScript), I can switch to a different browser, for a single task. There are also times when I need to be logged into a site with more than one ID simultaneously (e.g, as an administrator with full rights, as well as a common user with minimal rights), and having two browsers open makes that easy.

For a setup with multiple browsers (or multiple profiles), something that's really nice about Mozilla browsers is that it's easy to export bookmarks to a simple HTML file. With that, I periodically put a copy of my exported bookmarks onto my working LAN. From there, I usually set any browser profiles that I use more than occasionally to use that HTML file as the home page. Thus, regardless of which computer, which browser or which profile I'm using, I always have a reasonably current copy of the bookmarks I have in my primary browser. The navigation isn't quite as smooth as using the bookmarks manager, but all the functionality (names and links) are all there, in a usable format.

Thus, if you're curious about something other than Firefox, install and give it a try. If you find that you don't like it, browsers are easy enough to uninstall.

Smith