Web lists-archives.com

Re: Is FF losing popularity in so dramatic way?

Sailfish wrote:

While I have about 13 add-on, I only really rely on a very few, less than a hand full. I suspect that ABP will be one that will have support dropped for it and, as such, will eventually fall out of usefulness after web sites find ways around its existing configuration.

On that, the news is good: ABP also has a Chrome version, and thus, they already support the Web Extensions API. I haven't checked closely, but I think they already have a version that runs in the betas that don't have XUL.

For me, I'm hoping that I don't lose a couple of extensions that are companions to ABP.

Probably the bigger limitation would be with extension developers that simply end their projects, even if Seamonkey still is able to use their stuff, whether direct support or via conversion.

Thanks, regrettably, I keep forgetting about SeaMonkey but, even so, their resources are constrained, too. If I'm not mistaken, they were able to take advantages of Fx security fixes that were part of XPCOM and, once Fx abandons it at Fx57, it's unclear whether they'll be able to handle that adequately.

However, if it's a matter of staying with an unsupported Fx56.x and a quasi-supported XPCOM, SM would be the better choice.

Seamonkey is definitely constrained. They were generally making releases that parallel Firefox/Gecko releases, and they've missed several release dates. 2.46 is the last officially-released version, and I believe that it's 2.49 that's nearing full release. In the meantime, there's a number of Seamonkey users that have taken to running a contributed build, as a way of keeping up with the security fixes.

Once 2.49 is released, then Seamonkey will be following the Firefox ESR track, but it still remains to see what they'll do when Firefox 52.8ESR goes EOL.

Of other forked builds, I haven't heard what either PaleMoon or Waterfox are planning to do, but I know that the developers of Cyberfox are in the process of ending their work. Maybe PaleMoon's fork of Gecko to Goanna may help, but I haven't yet seen anything about what they intend to do with extensions support.

Smith