Web lists-archives.com

Re: Is FF losing popularity in so dramatic way?

Sailfish wrote:

I suspect when Fx57 (XPCOM redaction) hits there will be a significant drop in Fx usage since many of the popular add-ons will no longer work.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'll do since I rely on many of them. I'll probably just use the last version of Fx56.

For the short run, ESR will buy you some time, but unfortunately, that particular set of changes comes relatively late the lifespan of Fx52.x.

Beyond PaleMoon or Waterfox, Seamonkey is still an option, although some may depend on which extensions you consider to be critical. In the balance between Firefox and Seamonkey, many extensions support both, but certainly not all. Some extensions can be converted using a tool that's maintained by one of Seamonkey's developers. The ones that can't tend to be ones that rely on Firefox features that haven't been implemented in Seamonkey (e.g., Australis).

For my own use of extensions (and I use quite a few), I have a couple that I have converted with the provided tool, and there's a couple that I have in my Firefox profile that I can't convert to Seamonkey, although I can live with that.

Probably the bigger limitation would be with extension developers that simply end their projects, even if Seamonkey still is able to use their stuff, whether direct support or via conversion.

Smith