Web lists-archives.com

Re: iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on 6/11/2017 9:15 AM:
On 6/11/2017 10:35 AM, Sailfish wrote:

REF: https://medium.com/@johnnylin/how-to-make-80-000-per-month-on-the-apple-app-store-bdb943862e88
Itsy: http://tinyurl.com/yd8734xs

[excerpt quote=\"
*How to Make $80,000 Per Month on the Apple App Store*

I tap into the app details to see that the developer is “Ngan Vo Thi Thuy”. Wait so, this is a VPN service offered by an independent developer who didn’t even bother to incorporate a company? That’s a huge red flag. For those of you who don’t know why this is bad, a VPN basically routes all your internet traffic through a third party server. So in this case, a random person who couldn’t piece together a grammatically correct title, who also didn’t bother to incorporate a company, wants access to all your internet traffic.
\" /]

A goodly portion is also being careful on what Apps one allows on their device where many require the user to grant the App developer a high degree of access to the machine and, thus, the data stored on it.

It amazes me what access many people give to apps like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, and Whatsapp. Facebook apps routinely expect access to all photos, contacts, the camera in your device, the microphone in your device, AND the right to make posts in your name!!! Ain't gonna happen! Even if I wanted to give access to my photos, and camera, and microphone, I wouldn't give access to my contacts because that data is NOT MINE. And people give up that information for the dubious value of answering a bunch of trivia questions, or seeing how they might look in twenty years. At 74, I don't WANT to see how I will look in twenty years, as I will likely be a corpse! I am pretty careful about the apps I download, and if they ask for access that I see no valid reason for them to have, they get the Apple Bit Bucket toss. If I find they are trying to do things I didn't TELL them to do, such as access my location when the app is not active, same treatment! I am not paranoid (well, not much), but neither am I going to expose myself too casually to data theft.

I only use Facebook on my PC browsers (desktop/laptop) and would never allow it or any other social media App on my smartdevices. In fact, I'm a bit reluctant using Google Maps for my GPS travel needs but propensity at getting lost compels me to consider using it the lesser of two unwanted choices. I also, won't allow internet connection to smart TV or smart entertainment systems (Note: I do make an exception for Roku).

--
Sailfish