Web lists-archives.com

Re: iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

On 6/9/2017 9:49 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on 6/8/2017 11:25 PM:
On 6/8/2017 7:16 PM, Sailfish wrote:

I wasn't the one who brought device sales into this debate, you were. Which, I will add was a valid point. My response was simply a rejoinder to normalize, as much as possible, the comparative numbers to determine which devices bricks more during updates on a per owner basis.

Well, if you compare an OS that almost never gets an update, with one that gets MANY updates, I suspect the number of problems per user will be higher, users being so unpredictable, and prone to avoiding any use of instructions.... Not exactly an equitable way to compare. It's rather like comparing a car that is driven 100,000 miles a year with one that is driven to church and the grocery store once a week (2 miles a day) and which one breaks down more times a year.

First, as I mentioned in a prior post, I have 4 Androids devices, 3 RCA tablets which I use for photo frames only and 1 LG smartphone (5.1.1), all of them receive updates regularly. Two, your example is not even close to making sense. Allow me to rephrase how this comes across.

Since iPhones get lots of updates compared to Androids, it's logical, nay, outright expected that iPhones updates will brick more devices. Which, I will add, seems closer to my original point than you may realize.

You then go on to offer as comparison an automobile mileage-driven example to number of updates. Really?! Even if that could remotely makes sense, which it doesn't, the difference would be that mileage driven is user initiated; where as, updates installed is more akin to a dealer action and bug fixes akin to recall repairs.

I will also re-state what I've believed, Apple (through Jobs tyrannical leadership) created a truly innovative and disruptive product with attention to detail unparalleled by all competitors until very recently. That being again said, for the majority of smartphone users (my opinion), updates that have been prone to disrupting their use of the device are not welcomed, whether it be from iOS, Android, PC or mainframe.

I tend to agree with your last point, with iOS 6 and Windows 10 being prime examples. Sometimes products (software) get released before they have been debugged sufficiently, and iOS 6 was one such case. Of course, no matter HOW much testing you do on an OS, when you release it to 50 million or so users, many of which are barely able to understand how to turn on the device, you WILL find things that testers, who generally are vastly more sophisticated than the average user, let alone the idiot user, just didn't find. Thus bug fixes. At least Apple gets on the bugs fast, and sometimes makes new ones in the process of fixing old ones. But you know how that works with software.

I think we have hit a point where both Android, and Apple need to regroup, and concentrate more on making their hardware, and software easier, and more pleasant, to use, and polishing them up to smoothness enjoyed by Apple users prior to iOS 6. Maybe that will happen. iOS 10 seems to be better than 9 in this respect, although some things are still a bit ugly. Still, iOS serves my needs very well, and is certainly easier to use than Android, to my way of thinking.