Web lists-archives.com

Re: iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

On 6/8/2017 8:25 PM, Caver1 wrote:
On 6/8/17 7:41 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 6/8/2017 1:18 PM, Sailfish wrote:
6/8/2017 8:45 AM:
On 6/8/2017 1:56 AM, Sailfish wrote:

None of the above articles had to do with "jailbreaking" and this was
just a quick look at search page listings. There were others.

My assertion was that more people were likely to have their device
bricked than any malware (I should clarify that to be any non-zero
day malware); not whether you personally have been bricked. I've
provided three credible references to buttress my point and you've
offered none.

Don't need one.  I am not dissatisfied, and have made claims that need
to verified.  The error 53 is only seen if the screen of a Touch-Id
device is replaced by an unauthorized repair facility.  That's on the
user.

And yet, Apple apologized for /THEIR/ screw-up and even offered to pay
for said repairs to any and all who had experienced the same problem. I
think I'll take Apple's admission over your belief :-)

They admitted that it was a bad choice, and a poor way to handle a
repair issue.  I suspect that some states leaned on them pretty hard
about this as a consumer rights issue.

If you sell 50 million of ANYTHING in a year, and 49 million of them
are used by people who don't know much about their devices, you WILL
have some problems with updating.  I don't care what product it is.
Didn't I read something about the latest Android update bricking some
phones??

REF:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/461900/android-vs-ios-market-share-in-smartphone-sales-germany/

One, Android has consistently outsold iOS smartphones by a huge amount
and two, I never claimed that Android devices were without bricking
issues. Rather, it was that Apple iOS updates have a history of
"bricking" some portion of the users devices, which I've provided ample
credible evidence of.

Whether their per person "bricking" portion is larger than Android's is
a different issue. Since you seem to want to take the lead in this
avenue of inquiry, I'll anxiously await your credible links on it so
that I may become more informed.

You wouldn't accept any link as 'credible'.  We have been that route
before.  And name ONE Android device that has sold as many units as a
comparable iOS device.  That there are a zillion companies selling
Android phones, especially in other countries, gives them a total
numerical advantage, but in the US iOS devices still outsell Android.

http://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/os

Period     Android     iOS     Windows Phone     Others
2015Q4     79.6%     18.7%     1.2%     0.5%
2016Q1     83.5%     15.4%     0.8%     0.4%
2016Q2     87.6%     11.7%     0.4%     0.3%
2016Q3     86.8%     12.5%     0.3%     0.4%

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/27/iphone-15-percent-market-share/

The latest data from research firm IDC reveals that Apple's smartphone market share dropped to 15.3 percent in the March quarter as the worldwide smartphone market fell nearly flat during the first three months of 2016.

Part of the chart; (I"m only showing the top two to make point. iPhones are not the top selling nor is a combination of of android manufaturer phones beating out iPhones, Samsung is beating Apple by itself. The chart is an image so if you want to see the whole thing go to the web site.)

Vendor 1Q16 shipment volumes 1Q16 Market shares
Samsung                                       81.9                   24.5%
Apple 51.2 15.3

Like I said, in the worldwide market, the number of sources, and the pricing structure can't be overcome. Still, in the US Apple sales do overcome both these problems. It's like comparing sales of Corvettes vs sales of all cars..