Web lists-archives.com

Re: iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

On 6/8/17 11:45 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 6/8/2017 1:56 AM, Sailfish wrote:
6/7/2017 11:27 PM:
On 6/7/2017 8:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:

Okay:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/13/ios-10-update-bricked-my-iphone/
https://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/16/ios-9-3-2-bricking-some-9-7-ipad-pros/
https://techcrunch.com/2016/02/18/apple-apologizes-and-updates-ios-to-restore-iphones-disabled-by-error-53/

etc.

Read the articles.  The last one is the result of unauthorized repair
activities.  Most of these incidents are due to things like users who
have 'jailbroken' devices and try to update them without restoring to
the previous backup before they update.  I update three iPhones, and
an iPad each update, and have not had a problem since 4.1.

Re. the last one, Apple doesn't issue apologies like below for
unauthorized repairs.

//
We apologize for any inconvenience, this was designed to be a factory
test and was not intended to affect customers. Customers who paid for an
out-of-warranty replacement of their device based on this issue should
contact AppleCare about a reimbursement.
//

None of the above articles had to do with "jailbreaking" and this was
just a quick look at search page listings. There were others.

My assertion was that more people were likely to have their device
bricked than any malware (I should clarify that to be any non-zero day
malware); not whether you personally have been bricked. I've provided
three credible references to buttress my point and you've offered none.

Don't need one.  I am not dissatisfied, and have made claims that need
to verified.  The error 53 is only seen if the screen of a Touch-Id
device is replaced by an unauthorized repair facility.  That's on the user.

If you sell 50 million of ANYTHING in a year, and 49 million of them are
used by people who don't know much about their devices, you WILL have
some problems with updating.  I don't care what product it is.  Didn't I
read something about the latest Android update bricking some phones??

The point was you were try to imply that all updated bricked iPhones were user caused.
Which is not the case.

--
Caver1