Web lists-archives.com

Re: iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

On 6/8/2017 1:56 AM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on 6/7/2017 11:27 PM:
On 6/7/2017 8:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:

Okay:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/13/ios-10-update-bricked-my-iphone/
https://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/16/ios-9-3-2-bricking-some-9-7-ipad-pros/ https://techcrunch.com/2016/02/18/apple-apologizes-and-updates-ios-to-restore-iphones-disabled-by-error-53/
etc.

Read the articles. The last one is the result of unauthorized repair activities. Most of these incidents are due to things like users who have 'jailbroken' devices and try to update them without restoring to the previous backup before they update. I update three iPhones, and an iPad each update, and have not had a problem since 4.1.

Re. the last one, Apple doesn't issue apologies like below for unauthorized repairs.

//
We apologize for any inconvenience, this was designed to be a factory test and was not intended to affect customers. Customers who paid for an out-of-warranty replacement of their device based on this issue should contact AppleCare about a reimbursement.
//

None of the above articles had to do with "jailbreaking" and this was just a quick look at search page listings. There were others.

My assertion was that more people were likely to have their device bricked than any malware (I should clarify that to be any non-zero day malware); not whether you personally have been bricked. I've provided three credible references to buttress my point and you've offered none.

Don't need one. I am not dissatisfied, and have made claims that need to verified. The error 53 is only seen if the screen of a Touch-Id device is replaced by an unauthorized repair facility. That's on the user.

If you sell 50 million of ANYTHING in a year, and 49 million of them are used by people who don't know much about their devices, you WILL have some problems with updating. I don't care what product it is. Didn't I read something about the latest Android update bricking some phones??