Web lists-archives.com

Re: iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

On 6/7/2017 8:51 PM, Sailfish wrote:
My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on 6/7/2017 5:09 PM:
On 6/7/2017 1:40 PM, Sailfish wrote:

One, when an update breaks your existing Apps then the "free" part seems more than a bit unwelcome and two, I do not believe even Apple provides hardware upgrades for free.

IF it does, then you should have been warned of this ahead of time. Not something that happens often, at least *not on the Apple ecosystem* .

Okay:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/13/ios-10-update-bricked-my-iphone/
https://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/16/ios-9-3-2-bricking-some-9-7-ipad-pros/
https://techcrunch.com/2016/02/18/apple-apologizes-and-updates-ios-to-restore-iphones-disabled-by-error-53/
etc.

Read the articles. The last one is the result of unauthorized repair activities. Most of these incidents are due to things like users who have 'jailbroken' devices and try to update them without restoring to the previous backup before they update. I update three iPhones, and an iPad each update, and have not had a problem since 4.1.