Web lists-archives.com

Re: iOS 11 will render older iPhones, iPads and apps obsolete

On 6/7/17 8:10 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 6/7/2017 2:27 PM, Caver1 wrote:
On 6/7/17 1:00 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 6/7/2017 7:09 AM, Caver1 wrote:
On 6/7/17 2:39 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 6/6/2017 6:58 PM, Caver1 wrote:
On 6/6/17 3:18 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 6/6/2017 11:00 AM, Sailfish wrote:
REF:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jun/06/iphone-ipad-apps-games-apple-5-5c-obsolete

Itsy: http://tinyurl.com/y7z2kxzu

[excerpt quote=\"
That means anyone with an iPhone 5 or 5C will no longer receive
software
updates for either new features, or more importantly security
fixes. The
iPad 4 will also stop receiving updates.

But it also means that for users of #Apple’s newer smartphones and
tablet computers, including the latest iPhone 7 and iPad, some apps
that
are 32-bit-only and not coded to operate in a 64-bit system will
cease
to work once their devices are updated to iOS 11.
\" /]

With older 32bit-only devices not upgraded to iOS11 and no longer
receiving updates, especially security updates, being
unfortunate, at
least the devices will continue operate with their existing
installed
32bit apps.

However, I suspect there might be a lot of people with 64bit devices
upset that their prior 32bit apps will no longer work. One would
think
that this type of unforced error mentality would be avoided by now?

One can hardly expect to hold back other users be making
everything run
on ancient (by smartphone standards) hardware.  I had only one 32 bit
application that I had to update to the 64 bit version, out of about
120
apps on my iPhone 7.  Time and the time, and technology wait for no
man.
      Upgrade, or get left behind.  Sure, I wish my 2003 Impala had
those
nice blind spot detectors, and a backup camera, with motion sensing,
but
cars, like smartphones, are only going to last so long, and then they
won't do what newer models will do.
I can't see how anyone thinks this is somehow a disadvantage.  You
could
have a Galaxy S4.  How many OS upgrades has it had?

Evidently enough. That is what I have and it is still usable.  :)

No changes, so no progress.  It is the same as when you bought it.
Compare that with my wife's iPhone 6+ that has had feature, and OS
updates and still continues to work well, with added value along the
way.
Funny how some people seem to think that progress is a negative thing.

I don't want or need a hand held computer. The old phone does what I
need.
I did receive security updates on it maybe as long as a month ago.
My 2005 Bonneville is the same as when I bought it and it still works.
You don't /need/ all supposed  /progress/ updates. They are just there
to keep you spending money on the most part.

But Apple provides the updates free...  So why not make use of the extra
features.  Sure, many of them aren't things I use, but there are
security and bug fix changes as well, so I always update.  Now if GM
would just install backup cameras, and blind-spot detection on my 2003
Impala....  Grin.

You can get those things for your car after market.

Possibly, but a bit kludgy.  And certainly NOT free.

Being that the new Apple OS will not work with older phones, that work just fine,
if you want the /progress/ then it's not free.
Nothing is life is free.

--
Caver1